College of Education Dedicates the Dr. Cecilia J. Lauby Teacher Education Center
The College of Education at Illinois State University dedicated the Dr. Cecilia J. Lauby Teacher Education Center in honor of Dr. Cecilia J. Lauby on June 2, 2004.
Dr. Lauby was recruited in 1949 to Illinois State Normal University to create the first Office of Student Teaching, now named the Office of Clinical Experiences and Certification Processes. She served as the coordinator of Student Teaching from 1949 to 1959, as the director of Student Teaching from 1959 to 1966, and as Head of the the Department of Professional Laboratory Experiences in the College of Education from 1966 to 1973. During her 24-year tenure at Illinois State, Dr. Lauby was instrumental in establishing a wide network for student teachers, and she was influential in the implementation of the transition of Illinois State Normal University from a teacher’s college into the multipurpose Illinois State University.
Speakers at the ceremony included Dr. Dianne Ashby, Dean, College of Education, Dr. Donald Kachur, Professor Emeritus, College of Education, and Dr. Sally Pancrazio, Dean Emerita, College of Education.
Dean Ashby presented Dr. Lauby with a plaque in recognition of her dedication to teacher education at Illinois State University.