Spread the Red Homecoming 2007, October 8-14
“Spread the Red: 150 Years of Spirit” will be the theme of Illinois State University’s Homecoming 2007 celebration, Oct. 8-14. Homecoming activities will highlight the University’s rich history and traditions as part of Illinois State’s yearlong sesquicentennial celebration.
This year’s Homecoming celebration features events for the campus community, Bloomington-Normal, alumni and friends. For a complete list of Homecoming 2007 activities and events, along with registration and ticket information for selected events visit the Homecoming Web site.
Homecoming events start on Monday, Oct. 8 with a “Give the Red” blood drive and a Homecoming Kick-Off event with food and live music on the Quad. Events throughout the week include the presentation of the Dream Dorm Do-Over contest winner by Illinois State alumna and HGTV host Claire Berger; the annual Homecoming luncheon with a presentation by alumna and educator Barbara Caldwell; a torchlight parade, bonfire and pep rally; a 5K run; the Homecoming Parade; and exciting football action with the Redbirds taking on Indiana State. Alumni will play a major role in Homecoming activities by visiting the different colleges and departments throughout the week to interact with students, faculty and staff through a variety of panels and presentations.
The following is a brief listing of Homecoming 2007 events. For a complete listing of events visit the Homecoming 2007 website.
Monday, Oct. 8
- “Give the Red” blood drive,10 a.m.- 4 p.m., Bowling and Billiards Center Activity Room.
- Homecoming Kick-Off on the Quad, 6 p.m. Food, live music, prize giveaways and introduction of 2007 Homecoming court.
Tuesday, Oct. 9
- Recreational/Team Competition events, Hancock Stadium, 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 10
- 4 p.m., Tree Walk with Don Schmidt, Sassafras seating area near Hovey Hall, Quad.
- 5 p.m., HGTV host and Illinois State alumna Claire Berger hosts the Dream Dorm Do-Over Big Reveal, Bone Student Center Prairie Room.
- 5:30 p.m., WGLT Bar-B-Quad. Barbeque and blues music from The Delta Kings on the Quad. $20 per person, advanced registration required.
Thursday, Oct. 11
- Casino Night, 7 p.m., Bone Student Center Brown Ballroom.
Friday, Oct. 12
- Homecoming Luncheon, 12 – 2 p.m., Bone Student Center Brown Ballroom. Alumna and College of Education Alumni Hall of Fame member Barbara Caldwell will be the featured speaker. $10 per person with advance registration.
- 12 – 7 p.m., Homecoming Central, Bone Student Center Circus Room. Homecoming information and advance ticket pick-up.
- 6 p.m., torchlight parade, featuring music by the Big Red Marching Machine. Steps off from Manchester/Hewett basketball courts.
- Hoopfest, 7 p.m., Redbird Arena. First look at men’s and women’s basketball teams.
- 8:15 p.m., bonfire, pep rally and fireworks. North entrance of Redbird Arena. Crowning of Homecoming King and Queen at event.
Saturday, Oct. 13
- Town & Gown 5K run, 7 a.m. Starts at College and University.
- Homecoming Central, Bone Student Center Circus Room, 7:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Homecoming Parade, 9:30 a.m. Steps off from the corner of College and University.
- Pre-game tailgating, 10:30 a.m., Redbird Tent Zone near Hancock Stadium.
- Football game, 1:30 p.m., Hancock Stadium. Redbirds take on the Indiana State Sycamores.
- Sesquicentennial Gala, 6 p.m., Bone Student Center Brown Ballroom. Dinner, entertainment, auction, Jazz After Hours. Advance tickets required for this “red tie” formal event.
Sunday, Oct. 14
- Women’s soccer: Rebirds vs. Creighton, 12 p.m., Adelaide Soccer Field.