Schoolhouse on campus preserved as museum
Now a century old, the one-room schoolhouse located on west campus is still maintained by the University.
The Lura Eyestone School Museum was painted and winterized during the summer. The historic relic was built in 1899 as one of the first of nearly 300 one-room schoolhouses in McLean County. It was brought to campus in 1964 and renamed for an ISU alumnus and retired teacher.
Illinois State’s Alumni Association raised the $10,000 to move and rehabilitate the school, which is furnished with wooden desks, chalk slates, and a coal stove.