Asian Chicken Salad, an Illinois State University dining center favorite:
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 8 oz romaine lettuce, chopped
- 8 oz Napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp snow peas, blanched and cooled
- 1 oz fresh red cabbage, shaved
- 2 Tbsp shredded carrots
- 2 Tbsp water chestnuts
- 1 Tbsp fresh green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Chow Mein noodles
- Oriental sesame dressing
Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, approximately 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
Place romaine and Napa cabbage in a bowl. Top with snow peas, shaved red cabbage, carrots, water chestnuts, green onions and mandarin oranges.
Add dressing by slowly drizzling over surface of salad components.
Toss salad to mix in dressing. Top with chicken, Chow Mein noodles and sesame seeds.
Serving: 1 oz chicken with salad, serves 6