Campus Dining recipe: Orange chicken
Here is the Campus Dining Services recipe for orange chicken:
- Ginger root, chopped, 1 Tbsp.
- Brown sugar, 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce, 1/2 cup
- Water, 1/2 cup
- Cooking sherry, 1/4 tsp.
- Garlic, chopped, 1 Tbsp.
- White Vinegar, 2 & 2/3 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp.
- Sugar, 1/4 cup + 1 & 2/3 Tbsp.
- Mandarin oranges in syrup, 1/4 cup + 1 & 2/3 Tbsp.
- Tempura chicken strips, 2.5 lbs.
- Green onions, chopped, 3/4 tsp.
- Crushed red pepper, 3/4 tsp.
- Ginger, ground, 1 & 1/2 tsp.
- Mandarin oranges, 2 Tbsp. (reserved from sauce)
- Cornstarch, 1 Tbsp.
- Water, 1 Tbsp.
- Blend ginger root, brown sugar, soy sauce, water, cooking sherry, and garlic.
- Drain and reserve the juice from the mandarin oranges.
- Add juice, white vinegar, and sugar to the sauce mixture and mix well.
- Pour sauce into a wok and bring to a boil. Add crushed red pepper and ground ginger.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. water until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to sauce, stirring well. The sauce will continue to thicken. Remove from heat.
- While the sauce is heating, deep fry chicken for 4 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Toss the chicken with the sauce until well coated.
- Garnish with reserved mandarin oranges and chopped green onion.