Fresh FAVs is a new program that is being started to increase the availability and consumption of fresh produce on campus.
Open to students, faculty, and staff, the program is similar to a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program. Each week, produce will be delivered to campus by US Foods. Since the program buys produce in bulk, the price is very low for members. Fresh FAVs is a collaboration between the dietetic interns of Family and Consumer Sciences, Campus Dining, and Health Promotion and Wellness.
What do you get?
Typically, members will receive a 50/50 split of fruits and vegetables. Each week members will receive an average of seven different types of produce, along with relevant recipes. There are three options:
- one-person bag for $50 total (only $6.25 per week!)
- two-person bag for $95 total ($11.88 per week!)
- four person bag for $145 total (or only $18.13 per week!)
Your one-time payment covers all eight weeks of the program. Bags will be available for pickup every Friday afternoon on campus between 2 and 5 p.m. You will receive a confirmation of where to pick up the week of delivery.
Top 5 reasons to join Fresh FAVs
- Convenience! You can pick up a week’s worth of produce on campus, saving you a trip to the grocery store.
- Price! The produce you will receive will cost you less than if you purchased it at a store.
- Time saver! Your bag will be pre-packed for you. No need to waste time wandering the produce section.
- Spontaneity! Each week is a different mix of produce, so it’s a fun surprise.
- Less stress! We take the stress out of how to use your produce. Each week you will receive two recipes that coincide with the produce in your bag.
The fall program runs for eight weeks, beginning the week of October 7. The registration deadline is Friday, October 4, and payment is expected at the time of registration. Late registration forms will not be accepted, but the program will run again in the spring. For more information and to download a registration form, visit Wellness.IllinoisState.edu/Healthy-Living/Nutrition/FreshFAVs.shtml. Email Erin Moses or call her at (309) 438-WELL (9355) with any questions.
Looking for additional nutrition guidance? Schedule a free nutrition consultation with Health Promotion and Wellness.