The final day to order a brick for the fitness trail is June 1, 2014.
Metcalf PTO is offering a unique fundraising program called Fund-A-Need. It solicits direct donations for a very important and specific need at Thomas Metcalf School. Although there are many things that would help our teachers and administrators at Metcalf, when deciding on a Fund-A-Need item we had to take into consideration something that would benefit all of the pre-K through 8th grade students. We also wanted something that would be long lasting and complement the school’s ever-expanding and innovative curriculum. The belief that academics, the arts, and wellness are all important to the growth of an individual is an important underlying philosophy at Metcalf.
After careful consideration, the Metcalf PTO and members of the 2013-2014 Montage Committee have decided to fund the Health Fitness Trail on our playground area for this year’s Fund-A-Need.
The first phase of the trail started this past year with the purchase of three pieces of fitness equipment that were strategically placed along the outer boundaries of our playground area.
The second phase of the project would include the following:
- Lining the inside of the trail with bricks to designate where the trail starts and ends.
- Placing brick boundaries around the three existing pieces of equipment and the 2–3 more pieces of fitness equipment that will be purchased.
- Purchasing signage for the entrance of the trail and signs along the trail to use for informational and educational purposes.
- Outlining the trail with a fine sand/crushed granite mix to provide comfort to users feet and eyes.
- Designing and building an outdoor classroom on the north end of our school grounds that would connect the Fitness Trail to the Metcalf Garden.
Questions? Please contact Kim Walker-Smith at email@example.com.