The Illinois State campus can be considered a “city within a city.”
The 25-member University Police Department provides complete law enforcement services to the campus. Our sworn police officers are authorized to enforce all state laws and university rules. The department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Some of the services provided include:
- Crime prevention programming
- Investigation of reported crimes, disturbances, traffic accidents, and driving violations
- Patrol and inspection of campus grounds and buildings as a deterrent to criminal activity and to detect potential safety or security problems
Illinois State University does experience a full range of criminal behavior, but a way to combat this reality is through crime prevention, which is the responsibility of each member of the University community.
How can you help prevent crime? A few brief tips include:
- Avoid erroneously thinking crimes only happen to someone else. Recognize the reality that anyone’s property or personal safety can be the target of criminals.
- Be crime-prevention conscious at all times. A high percentage of crimes committed on campus are “crimes of opportunity.” Remember, you keep what you lock.
- Be alert and observant. Report all crimes, whether actual, attempted, or suspected, to the police by dialing 911. Do not be afraid to “get involved.”
Being responsive to campus safety issues is everyone’s responsibility. The non-emergency number for the department is (309) 438-8631. If there are any services we can provide, please do not hesitate to call. We wish to aid in making your stay at the University as safe and secure as possible.