I’ve graduated…now what?
You’ve crossed the stage, received your diploma, and turned your tassel. However, as an Illinois State alumni, your work as a new professional is not yet complete. In fact, your career has just begun! So there is no greater time for you to focus on your career endeavors. The Career Center provides the following tips to help you along your journey to your career success:
- Update your Hire-A-Redbird profile – or if you haven’t ever used it, now is the time to start! Illinois State’s free interactive job board is the perfect tool to help you search for jobs and connect with employers. You can even use it to find average hiring salaries, and more.
- Update your LinkedIn profile and start building those connections. Be sure to update your profile to note that you’ve graduated, and start making connections with others in your industry. Join networks and other groups where you can exchange your expertise or get new ideas. Most recruiters use this tool to find job candidates.
- Stay connected to faculty and other Illinois State contacts. You never know when you might need a good reference, advice or a job lead. Keep in touch with your contacts on LinkedIn. Send them an email from time to time to update them on your career progress. Offer to come back to campus and assist with a project or program, or offer to serve as a mentor to another Redbird.
- Get connected to an alumni network. Take advantage of your Redbird status and connect with fellow classmates and alumni while remaining active with your alma mater.
- Attend Career Center events. Alumni are welcome to attend Illinois State career fairs or other programs or events. Also, the Career Center is always seeking alumni to share advice and other tips with current students to help them with their career.
- Share your success. Let Illinois State know how your career is going. Join the Career Center on Facebook or Twitter and post/tweet your success. Even better, send us a picture or share your story with us. We may even use it for upcoming promotions or to inspire other Redbirds with your success.
- Give back to Illinois State by hiring a Redbird. If and when you’re in a position to hire, consider recruiting from Illinois State. The Career Center is happy to assist you with your recruiting efforts.
The Career Center is proud of your hard work and determination and is honored to call you “alumni.” Be sure to make the most of your new journey by taking advantage of these career tips. For more information on how the Career Center can help you as alumni, contact the Career Center.