Board of Trustees approves Milner Library renovations
Illinois State University’s Board of Trustees approved repairs to Milner Library at its quarterly meeting on July 22. The project will include replacement of the library plaza, repairs to the building exterior, and renovation of restrooms.
Board members approved the expenditure of $3.48 million for planning and construction. Funding for the project comes from certificates of participation that were approved by the Board in 2014 for facilities improvements.
The renovation project will include replacement of the exterior plaza deck, which functions as a roof over the library’s first floor space. Water leakage through the plaza deck has caused damage to interior spaces and book collections for years. Interior areas on the first floor that have suffered water damage will be remodeled to return them to a fully functional space for library use. Central public restrooms in the building will receive the first major upgrades since the building was constructed 40 years ago, and will be brought up to complete compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility requirements. Work on the exterior of the library will repair damaged sections of the brick façade.
In other action, the Board also:
- Approved the University’s Academic Plan 2016-2021. The annually renewable plan includes the University’s mission statement, Board of Trustees statement of goals for 2016, college mission statements, strategic plans and objectives, academic program initiatives, Educating Illinois 2013-2018: Individualized Attention, Shared Aspirations, and summaries of the 2015-2016 program reviews.
- Authorized the name Redbird Plaza for the open space created by the demolition of Rambo House on the University Campus.
- Authorized the renewal of a contract with the Illinois State University Foundation which stipulates that services will be provided for cash and in-kind consideration not to exceed $2,518,000.
- Authorized the replacement of softball stadium team dugouts and a contract with Aetna Student Health for student athlete insurance. The $650,000 replacement of team dugouts in the Marian Kneer Softball Stadium will be funded by private donations.
- Approved contracts with the Coca-Cola Company and Nike, Inc. for beverage services and athletic equipment and uniforms.
- Approved an agreement with the Town of Normal for fire protection services for FY2017 at a cost of $558,955.