As competition for jobs continues, career advice and job search assistance are in high demand today. The Career Center offers free career support to Illinois State students and alumni to help them gain the competitive edge in their career. Let the Career Center assist you with free services such as:
- Career advisement: Professional career advisors work with students and alumni to help them develop job-search skills and strategies to help them find and apply for potential internships, full-time career opportunities, and graduate or professional school.
- Career assessment: Students undecided on a major or career, or alumni seeking a career change can get help with identifying majors and careers that best match their skills and interests using free career exploration tools such as: FOCUS, an online self-assessment tool and Strong Interest Inventory.
- Internships and professional practice experiences: Students receive assistance with identifying employers for one or more credit-generating, academic/career related, paid/unpaid work experiences.
- Career fairs: The Career Center hosts career fairs throughout the year to connect students and alumni with employers and recruiters interested in Illinois State talent.
- Programs: The Career Center hosts a number of programs and workshops on career-related topics and job search strategies.
- Hire-A-Redbird job posting system: Online tool to view job vacancies, schedule on-campus interviews, get career fair information, and more.
- Drop-in hours: The Career Center hosts drop-in hours during the academic year for students to get career advice and assistance without an appointment. Get a resume review or practice your interview skills.
- InterviewStream: Develop your interviewing skills without leaving home by using our online video interviewing tool to practice your skills and play back to see how you’ve done.
- Free resume paper and business cards: Illinois State students can print out their resume onto complimentary resume paper at the Career Center or go online to request a set of free business cards to use at career fairs and interviews.
- Social networking: In an effort to help students and alumni connect with each other and employers, and provide free career development tips and information, connect with the Career Center on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Free access to Skype and private interview rooms: Available at the Career Center with advance reservation.
- Illinois State University App: View upcoming career events, career tips on what to do each year before you graduate, organizations registered for our career fairs, and more at your fingertips! Download the official Illinois State University App for free from the App Store or Google Play. Then load the “Career Center” Guide.
During the 2015-2016 academic year, more than 32,350 students and alumni interacted with the Career Center through its variety of services, resources, and programs. According to information security major Robert Heaser, “I attended a Career Center program where I participated in three mock interviews to practice my skills. One of them went so well that half way through, it turned into a real job interview. Shortly thereafter, I got an offer with that company. The Career Center prepared me so well that I got a job offer!”
Take advantage of these career services, programs, and resources and let the Career Center help you to state your career!