Free and confidential counseling services are available to students at Student Counseling Services
I can’t sleep. I’m sad all the time. I don’t have any friends. I’m not sure I fit in here. I worry constantly. I am so overwhelmed. What am I doing here? Does any of this sound familiar? Being a college student is stressful! You don’t have to go it alone: Illinois State University’s Student Counseling Services (SCS) is here to help you succeed.
SCS has experienced psychologists and counselors. Counseling is free, and it’s confidential –what happens in counseling stays in counseling. Except for a few exceptions related to the safety of yourself and others, no information can be released. Your privacy is protected by law!
Making an appointment is easy. Call (309) 438-3655 or stop by the office at 320 Student Services during business hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays. Same-day appointments are available for emergencies.
During your initial appointment, you will meet with one of our professional staff who will talk with you about your concerns and challenges. Counseling is a collaborative process that builds on your strengths and helps you manage challenges. Together you and your counselor will decide on which services will be most helpful in meeting your needs. SCS offers a variety of services including:
· Short-term skill-building groups to manage anxiety and depression
· Group therapy to improve relationships and communication, enhance self-esteem and conflict resolution, and develop assertiveness and social skills. Our groups meet for 90 minutes a week throughout the semester. We also offer specific groups addressing eating and body image concerns and groups for nontraditional students.
· Short-term individual counseling is also available to address a variety of students’ concerns including uncertainty about a major or career path.
· Students can also be referred to Student Health Services for consultation with a psychiatrist.
· Emergency services are available 24/7. During business hours, you can walk in or call. After business hours, call our main number, (309) 438-3655, select “2” at the prompt to talk with a counselor immediately.
· SCS also maintains confidential advisors for incidents of sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking. Unlike other university faculty and staff, SCS staff are not required to file a report with the University. And, our confidential advisors, can provide support and help you explore reporting options and protective measures.
Finally, The SCS website features a self-help section, online self-assessments and other helpful resources. For more information, call (309) 438-3655, or visit Counseling.IllinoisState.edu. Remember, when life gets complicated, we’re here to help!