The 2017 Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage Insurance, were mailed on February 22, 2018, via the United States Postal Service (USPS).

For those circumstances where an employee has not received their Form 1095-C in the mail, those employees should submit a Form 1095-C Replacement Request to the University Payroll Office. Taxpayers do not need to wait to receive Forms 1095-B and 1095-C before filing their returns. Individuals need not send the information relied upon to the Service when filing their returns but should keep it with their tax records. Taxpayers may rely on other information received from their employer or other coverage provider for purposes of filing their returns.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

I understand that I may receive a new health care tax statement from my employer to help me prepare my individual income tax return. What is it?

If you worked for a large employer (generally, an employer with more than 50 full-time employees), you may receive:

Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage. It shows whether the employer offered health insurance coverage and for how long.

Will I receive a Form 1095-C?

A Form 1095-C will be sent to employees who were:

Enrolled in medical coverage through Illinois State University in 2017, or

Considered full-time employees for ACA purposes and eligible for Illinois State University medical coverage at any point during 2017, including those persons who declined/waived coverage.

Should I wait for the form to prepare my income tax return?

In most cases, you do not need to wait for the Form 1095-C in order to file your U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ). Most employees will know whether they had health coverage for a month and can simply check a box on their tax return to attest that they, their spouse (if filing jointly), and any eligible dependents had “minimum essential coverage” throughout the year.

Under what circumstances would I need the information on Form 1095-C to file my U.S. Individual Income Tax Return? Only if:

You received an advance premium tax credit or wish to take the premium tax credit on your return; or

You had a gap in coverage of more than three consecutive months.

Do I need to attach Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C to my federal tax return?

No, do not submit these with your tax return. However, you may need to refer to them in order to complete your tax return.

When will I receive these forms?

Normally, by January 31st of the year following coverage (for 2017 statements, the date is March 2).

Illinois State University does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for tax, legal, or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.