FY 2019 Benefit Choice, May 1-May 31
The annual Benefit Choice enrollment period will soon be upon us. Even if you are not making changes, this is a great time to log-on to the State’s online enrollment website—mybenefits.illinois.gov—and review your coverage elections. Remember:
- May 1 through May 31—Enrollment changes/options are open in mybenefits.illinois.gov. If you are a benefits-eligible employee, you will need to login, review your information, and submit any changes by May 31 if you want them to take effect on July 1.
- What’s changing?—Watch your ilstu.edu email the last week of April for updates regarding any changes. CMS should also be sending information to your home address so watch for that as well.
- Saving money in the new fiscal year pre-tax for medical bills? Dependent care? Often referred to as “Flex Spending”—You will need to select this option before May 31, even if you want your amount to remain the same as last year. This is a mandated opt-in for which you will have to choose the plan and specify an amount. You will need only to enter the annual amount you wish to contribute and the online system will calculate the per pay period amount for you.
- Switching health plans? Opting out? Enrolling dependents?—Now is the time to make those elections, but remember
- You have to be enrolled in health insurance to be eligible for dental insurance
- Supporting documentation is required to opt out of coverage or add dependents to your coverage.
- Life insurance changes?—Often popular during this time, but remember a Statement of Health form must be completed and sent to Minnesota Life for any optional life increases or spouse life elections.
- Life event happening for you during this time? Birth? Marriage? Other?—No problem. These events can be processed through the mybenefits.illinois.gov website even during Benefit Choice.
- Questions?—Give us a call at (309) 438-8311, send us an email at email@example.com or stop by and see us from 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, in 101A Nelson Smith Building and we will be glad to assist.