Video: Preparing 21st century teachers
In his latest video, Jim Applegate, visiting professor at the Center for the Study Education Policy, identifies the changes needed in societal attitudes and in the nature of teacher preparation programs themselves to create the 21st century teachers we need to educate 21st century students.
- Shift focus from teaching to learning.
- Focus on formative assessments that help all students achieve learning goals in their own time.
- Create a learning environment that extends beyond the classroom.
- Replace lesson planning with the principles of learning design grounded in the cognitive sciences.
- Use innovative technology to support learning and expanded learning environments.
- Transition from sages on the stage to facilitators of learning.
- Enable each teacher to lead educational change.