5 tips to do your best on the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment
Illinois State University uses the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment to determine the most appropriate courses for each student as they move forward with college coursework that students are required to take before Preview.
If you’re not satisfied with your score, you have the opportunity to retake the assessment up to four times – but in order to retake it, you’ll have to do some work within the Prep and Learning Modules.
Here are some tips before you take the assessment:
- Use a paper and pencil to work things out! The ALEKS placement test is online, but most people find it easier to work math problems out with a good, old-fashioned paper and pencil. A good process leads to good answers!
- Follow the tutorial to learn to use the calculator and graphing tools. A worker is only as good as his tools. Lucky for you, the calculator and graphic tools are built into the assessment.
- Refresh your memory with the Prep and Learning Modules provided. Sometimes all you need is a nice refresher!
- Take your time while reading the questions. There isn’t a time limit, so be patient and give each question the time you need.
- Make sure you check your work and answer each and every question. This is an adaptive test, so you can’t go back and change your answer later. Better double check to be safe!
The ALEKS Math Placement Assessment shouldn’t be stressful or worrisome, it is simply gauging what course level you should take in order to be successful. We want you to succeed and get the most out of your education at Illinois State University; this assessment will help us to help you during your time on campus. Good luck, #FutureRedbird!