Board of Trustees approves academic plan, operating budget, and capital requests
The Board of Trustees of Illinois State University approved the University’s Academic Plan 2018-2023. The annually renewable plan includes an inventory of academic programs at the University and academic program changes approved since June 30, 2017; an inventory of academic units and programs at the University recognized by specialized accreditation associations; an update regarding academic initiatives; and college strategic plans and FY 2019 objectives. The plan also includes the new strategic plan, Educate • Connect • Elevate: Illinois State – The Strategic Plan for Illinois’ First Public University 2018-2023. The strategic plan will allow the University to address critical statewide goals for higher education, and forms the basis of requests for the operating budget and capital requests.
The Board approved the University’s annual operating budget of $458.1 million for FY2019. During its May 2018 meeting, the Board authorized expenditures from tentative budget allocations before state appropriations for FY2019 were known. At the October meeting, the Board also approved an FY2020 appropriated operating budget request of $72.9 million and a capital appropriation request of $338 million. The requests will be formally submitted to the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
The operations request of $72.9 million represents a 10 percent increase over the prior year appropriation. University officials feel this is a reasonable step given the cumulative financial assistance needed to help alleviate the negative impact of reduced state appropriations.
Other approvals included:
- The development of a confocal microscopy facility and the purchase of a powerful confocal microscope. The University recently received a $661,326 grant from the National Science Foundation to fund the project.
- A contractual bonus for President Larry Dietz.
- Upgrades to the University’s data center networking equipment.
- A project to replace the lower bowl seating in Redbird Arena and the replacement of the flooring and indoor track system in Horton Field House.
- A contract with BSN Sports to be the primary vendor of Nike brand apparel and sports equipment to Illinois State’s Athletic Department.