There’s good news for alumni who have just graduated but have not yet found a job. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers Job Outlook 2018 survey, employers plan to hire four percent more new graduates from the Class of 2018 than they did from the Class of 2017.
“There are jobs available,” Career Center Career Advisor Mark Fauble said. “However, the reality is that the majority of jobs are never posted. But there are ways for students to find them.”
The Career Center provides these tips to help Redbirds pursue their career:
- Join online communities utilizing social networking sites. LinkedIn is designed to help make connections for job seekers. Many employers have a social media presence and use social networks to search for candidates. In fact, LinkedIn allows you to choose to be notified about positions that you might have qualifications for based on your profile.
- Don’t keep your job search to yourself. Let people know that you are looking for a job, especially family, friends, former colleagues or students. The more people who know, the better.
- Meet with your career advisor to get job search tips and strategies to help you be successful.
- Join your Redbird alumni networks. Attend upcoming events and participate in their programs. You’ll network with other professionals who might be able to point you to possible contacts, job leads, or provide useful advice.
- Use Hire-A-Redbird, Illinois State University’s online job vacancy board. After creating a profile, the system will pull-up jobs for which you might qualify. It will also allow you to post a resume into resume books for an employer to find you.
- Save the date for Career Center job fairs. As an alum, you are able to attend anytime.
- Visit the Career Center website. You’ll find resources to help, including the Career Resource Guide, job search sites, videos, and more.
New graduates in the process of job searching do not need to be anxious about their status. The Career Center is available to help alumni achieve career success.