The Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for Young Children book was released this Fall co-authored by Robin Miller Young, Ph.D.
Miller Young is an assistant professor of early childhood education at Northern Illinois University (NIU). Before working at NIU, she was a consultant with the Center for the Study of Education Policy and worked on the Leadership for Integrating the Learning Continuum (LINC) Project and developed case studies of Illinois principal preparation programs when they were undertaking the program redesign.
Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) is a framework for delivering effective and efficient services and supports to meet the needs of all young children and their families so they can achieve essential developmental and early academic learning outcomes. With this evidence-based planning book and video set, you’ll discover how to design, implement, and monitor successful MTSS for children ages 3–5 across various early learning environments, including classrooms, programs, districts, and the state level.
LEARN HOW TO
- assess readiness for systems-level change including modifying existing practices
- employ shared-leadership and Implementation Science (IS) strategies for shifting into MTSS
- set up a successful system of data-based decision making to ensure children’s needs are met
- identify children who need additional supports and provide targeted or intensive interventions
- develop, provide, and evaluate evidence-based primary, secondary and tertiary programming
- provide effective instruction in key areas, including language, early literacy, and social-emotional skills
- use MTSS to meet the needs of dual language learners and children with disabilities
- engage families in designing a MTSS built on their strengths and needs
- scale up MTSS implementation across a state
- evaluate how well your MTSS is working and determine how to make improvements
Filled with the wisdom and research findings of more than 25 experts, this book brings you foundational information about MTSS plus concrete guidance on creating a system to help all learners reach their potential. Practical tools (reproducible and available online) help your team with key steps of MTSS implementation, and six videos (available online) enhance your application of important concepts covered in the book.
The ultimate MTSS guide for leaders at all system levels—and a visionary textbook for tomorrow’s professionals—this book will help early childhood education professionals usher in big-picture change that will benefit all young learners.
Practical tools and resources
- Six videos (available online) illustrating an Instructional Leadership Team coming to consensus and using Implementation Science to shift into MTSS and application of a four-step, data-based, decision-making process at the program/school, classroom and individual-child levels
- Language Exposure Evaluation Report
- Self-Assessment of Family Engagement Practices
- Home-School Plan
- Tune-Up Checklist