FY2020 Benefit Choice, May 1-May 31
The annual Benefit Choice enrollment period is May 1-31. Even for those not making changes, this is a great time to log on to the State’s online enrollment website—mybenefits.illinois.gov—and review coverage elections.
- May 1 through May 31 – Online enrollment changes/options are open in mybenefits.illinois.gov. Benefits-eligible employees will need to login, review information, and submit any changes by May 31 for them to take effect on July 1.
- What’s changing? – Watch the ilstu.edu email the last week of April for updates regarding any changes. CMS should also be sending information to your home address so watch for that as well.
- Saving money in the new fiscal year pre-tax for medical bills? Dependent care? Often referred to as “Flex Spending” – Those who are choosing this option will need to select before May 31, even for those who want the amount to remain the same as last year. This is a mandated opt-in for which participants will have to choose the plan and specify an amount. Enter only the annual amount to contribute and the online system will calculate the per pay period amount.
- Switching health plans? Opting out? Enrolling dependents – Now is the time to make those elections, but remember:
- Participants have to be enrolled in health insurance to be eligible for dental insurance.
- Supporting documentation is required to opt out of coverage or add dependents to coverage.
- Life insurance changes? – Often popular during this time, but remember a Statement of Health form must be completed and sent to Minnesota Life for any optional life increases or spouse life elections.
- Life event happening for you during this time? Birth? Marriage? Other? – No problem. These events can be processed through the mybenefits.illinois.gov website even during Benefit Choice.
- Questions? – Give Human Resources a call at (309) 438-8311, send an email at email@example.com or stop by from 7:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, in Nelson Smith Building, room 101A .