National Board Certified Teachers are 2020 Golden Apple finalists
Golden Apple recently announced the finalists for the 2020 prestigious Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Teaching.
“The positive impact these finalists for the Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Teaching make on their students, schools, and communities is significant beyond measure, and we take great pride in recognizing their tremendous value,” said Alan Mather, president of Golden Apple.
Thirty educators were selected as finalists out of the 732 nominations. Of the 30 finalists, six are National Board Certified Teachers. The National Board Certified finalists are:
- Deni Drinkwater: Fourth through eighth-grade art at Edison Regional Gifted Center, Chicago
- Kathy Garneau: Fourth through eighth-grade library, STEM, and technology at Bannockburn School, Bannockburn
- Derek Gould: Fourth through eighth-grade English language arts at Edgebrook Elementary School, Chicago
- Colleen McKenna: Fourth-grade English language arts, mathematics, science, social sciences, social-emotional education, and deaf studies at Salmon P. Chase Elementary School, Chicago
- Gina Romer: Seventh through eighth-grade social-emotional learning and English language arts at Ulysses S. Grant Middle School, Springfield
- Jennifer Smith: Eighth-grade science at Monticello Middle School, Monticello
Award finalists will be honored on Saturday, February 22nd, at the Golden Apple Celebration of Excellence in Teaching & Leadership at the Q Center in St. Charles. Recipients will be notified in the spring with surprise visits at their schools.