Illinois State University has announced the Redbird Pledge, the latest initiative in its response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This voluntary pledge for students, faculty, and staff emphasizes a shared commitment to helping maintain a safe and healthy campus.
Illinois State University President Larry Dietz shares, “While our staff and faculty have been working diligently to prepare for students returning to campus and implement new health and safety measures, it is imperative that our entire campus community understands our shared responsibility in keeping our campus healthy. This pledge was created to positively promote these new health and safety guidelines and to create a sense of togetherness as a Redbird family.”
The Redbird Pledge
I understand my personal responsibility to do my part in upholding a healthy, safe campus community for the entire Redbird family.
I pledge to show care and respect for others in our Redbird family, by:
- Wearing a face covering, as required, to protect my fellow Redbirds.
- Maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others, including following gathering limitations as required.
- Washing my hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, or using hand sanitizer when hand washing is not feasible and following other good hygiene guidance.
- Conducting daily self-health screenings, and staying home if I feel sick.
- Contacting Student Health Services (students) or my healthcare provider (faculty/staff) if I develop COVID-19 symptoms, and if recommended, getting tested.
- Agreeing to self-isolate or quarantine based on the directive of a public health official and/or a medical professional and participating in contact tracing efforts, when requested.
- Holding myself accountable to these health and safety guidelines and encouraging my peers to do the same.
Teresa Wang, president of the Student Wellness Ambassador Team (SWAT), says that she appreciates how the pledge encourages not only her own safety, but all of those around her as well. “It’s our responsibility to look out for each other, and I’m so proud of our University for coming together to make sure all of us Redbirds stay safe and healthy.”
Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to sign the pledge at Coronavirus.IllinoisState.edu and share their pledge commitment on social media using #RedbirdsTogether.
Together, we are all responsible for maintaining a safe, healthy campus.