The following message provides information about the Omicron variant, vaccination during winter break, an update on testing availability and locations for the remainder of the Fall 2021 term, and information about general Illinois State University health and safety standards applicable to the University community for students, faculty, and staff.
Health and safety standards are subject to change and are adopted as a part of the University’s COVID-19 prevention and mitigation strategies as recommended by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 Omicron variant
The University continues to closely monitor public health information regarding Omicron, the latest COVID-19 variant of concern. At this time, little information is available about Omicron, but when necessary, updates to the University’s approach to coronavirus will be based on science and the best data available provided by public health officials. Learn more about the Omicron variant by visiting the CDC website.
Vaccination during winter break
Vaccination continues to be the best and most effective way to protect yourself and others from Coronavirus. If you have not yet received a COVID-19 vaccination or 3rd dose/booster, winter break provides an excellent opportunity. Vaccination locations can be found near campus or your hometown.
Updates to testing availability and locations
Students, faculty, and staff who do not have a COVID-19 vaccination record or proof of a positive test within the last 90 days on file with Student Health Services are required to remain in compliance with on-campus COVID-19 testing requirements.
To remain in compliance, required students, faculty, and staff must participate in COVID-19 testing immediately upon returning to campus after any time away or university break and continue to test weekly (every seven days) while on campus.
For the most up-to-date information about testing sites and locations, visit the Coronavirus website. Please note the following updates to testing hours and locations:
- Monday, November 29: Student Services Building, Room 130, opened as a new testing center with the hours previously available at the BBC.
- Monday-Wednesday: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Thursday: 6 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Friday: 5 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Please note: With the exception of defined time periods identified in this correspondence, testing for ISU employee dependents, retirees and volunteers is available ONLY at SSB 130. Dependents must identify themselves. Dependents who are minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- November 29-December 10: SSB 130, Fire Station, and the Redbird Room in Redbird Arena will be open Monday through Friday. See the Coronavirus website for the most up-to-date hours of operation at these locations.
- December 9: The Redbird Room in Redbird Arena will close for the remainder of the fall term after December 9.
- December 13–21: The former Fire Station at 604 N. Adelaide will be the only available on-campus Testing Center, Monday through Friday. It will also serve dependents, retirees, and volunteers on these dates. Information about expanded hours for this testing center will be posted at a later date on the Coronavirus website.
- December 22–January 2: No on-campus testing locations will be available during this period. Employees who work on campus during this period are encouraged to regularly test at a site within the community.
- January 3–7: The former Fire Station at 604 N. Adelaide will be the only available on-campus Testing Center. It will also serve dependents, retirees and volunteers on these dates. Information about expanded hours for this testing center will be posted at a later date on the Coronavirus website.
- January 8–9: SSB 130, the former Fire Station at 604 N. Adelaide, the Redbird Room in Redbird Arena, and the temporary building in the parking lot between Watterson Towers and Stevenson Hall will operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Beginning January 10: SSB 130, the former Fire Station at 604 N. Adelaide, the Redbird Room in Redbird Arena, and the temporary building in the parking lot between Watterson Towers and Stevenson Hall will be open Monday through Friday. See the Coronavirus website for the most up-to-date hours of operation at these locations.