Students who needed medical care from the late 1920s through 1946 headed to the office of Dr. Rachel Merrill Cooper, who was the University’s first physician. She was also head of Student Health Services, which for decades remained in the building named in her honor that still stands.
Today health care is provided in the Student Services Building that opened in 1992 at the corner of University Street and College Avenue. Physicians, nurses, and physician assistants provide general medical care, consultations, immunizations, and services that range from dietetics and lab work to psychiatric care. There are on average 3,000 visits each month.