Crime Advisory 09/10/15
ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE
On Tuesday, September 8, at approximately 5:00 PM, ISU Police was notified of two suspicious subjects collecting money in the residence halls for a fictitious charity. Both individuals were later located and identified along with a third subject. However, other unidentified individuals may have been involved in this fraudulent behavior.
This incident remains under investigation by the Illinois State University Police Department. If you or someone you know provided money, personal checks, or credit card information to these individuals, or if you have additional information which may aid in this investigation, please contact ISU Police at (309) 438-8631.
Students and others are strongly encouraged to immediately report ANY suspicious activity to the police and never allow strangers into the residence halls or other secured buildings on campus.
Crime Prevention Tips:
– Solicitors are never permitted in the residence halls, and are required to register with the University and the Town of Normal.
– Remember credentials and authentic looking identification can easily be forged or created to appear real.
– If you are approached by a possible con artist or unauthorized solicitor, report the incident immediately to the police.
– If a deal sounds too good to be true; it probably is.
– Be wary of any get rich quick scheme that wants you to invest money in advance.
– Do not buy on the spur of the moment; take time to research the company or product.
For a complete listing of Crime Advisories, including full suspect descriptions if available, and the Daily Crime Log of Illinois State University Police go to the Illinois State University Police website http:// Police.IllinoisState.edu