Helpful hints for a stress-free commencement
You’re graduating! Here at the Alumni Engagement office, we know how rewarding college graduation can be, but we also know how hectic it can be. In order to have a stress-free commencement day, here are some tips:
1. Show up on time: Be sure to arrive at least one hour prior to the start of the ceremony with your cap and gown. Please encourage your family and guests to also arrive early. Doors will open one hour prior to the start of each ceremony.
2. Know where to go: For bachelor’s degree and master’s degree candidates for the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Interdisciplinary University Studies, College of Applied Science and Technology and the College of Business, check-in at Horton Fieldhouse, located north of Redbird Arena. Enter Horton Fieldhouse from the south side, facing the Turner Hall/Redbird Arena parking lot. College of Fine Arts and Mennonite College of Nursing bachelor’s degree and master’s degree candidates should check-in at the Circus Room in the Bone Student Center. Doctoral degree candidates will receive separate check-in instructions via e-mail.
3. Leave your personal belongings at home: Commencement gowns do not have any pockets, and there is NO storage for personal belongings. Please only bring your cap, gown and smiling face. Leave all other personal belongings at home or with family members. The university is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
4. Dress appropriately: Comfortable shoes are a MUST as you will be standing in the line-up room prior to the ceremony, and you don’t want to trip when you’re walking across the stage. In order to have the best commencement experience, please be conscious of what you wear.
5. Be responsible: Possession and/or consumption of alcohol at commencement are strictly prohibited. Any student in possession of alcohol will not be allowed to participate in commencement. Please be responsible. You don’t want to ruin your big day. Please also know that students must participate from the start to the end of the ceremony program.
6. Stop by the Alumni Association table: The Alumni Association would like to offer you a free gift! If you have not already picked up your free keychain, please stop by the Alumni Association table in Horton Fieldhouse.
More questions about graduation?
- For more information on professional commencement photography, ceremony scheduling, frequently asked questions, and accessibility, please visit the Graduation Services website.
- Your family, friends, and other supporters who can’t make it to commencement can watch the ceremonies online. Live streaming of the ceremonies will be available.