Council of Councils Conference recap
Illinois State University’s Civil Service Council hosted the 18th Annual Council of Councils Conference October 15–16.
The event opened with a welcome reception and the Alumni Spectacular exhibit at University Galleries. Illinois State attendees included Vice President of University Advancement Pat Vickerman and Vice President for Finance and Planning Greg Alt. After the reception, President Larry Dietz and Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Janet Krejci joined the council for dinner in Hancock Stadium’s Club Room.
The conference sessions took place in Bone Student Center the following day. Conference attendance topped 70, and featured speakers included representatives from State Universities Annuitants Association (SUAA), State Universities Retirement System (SURS), and State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS). There were also the following presentations:
- Illinois State Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Brent Paterson spoke on student engagement.
- Professor and Director of the Organizational Leadership Institute Richard Ringer discussed communicating through behavior in leadership.
- Assistant Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, Ethics, and Access Mboka Mwilambwe’s presentation focused on diversity and inclusion.
- Coordinator of Student Affairs Beni Towers Kawakita spoke about creating effective professional development plans.
- Veterans Service Officer for the state of Illinois Eli Lawhorn informed attendees about some commonly overlooked benefits for veterans.
The day also featured an open discussion panel focused on Civil Service Council activities, and at lunch, Gamma Phi Circus performed for the group.
The conference closed with a “passing of the torch” from Illinois State to the University of Illinois Civil Service Council representatives, a symbolic gesture indicating next year’s host site for the conference. The 2017 host site will be Northern Illinois University. This closing event featured networking and information sharing opportunities between councils from public universities across the state.
This is the first time Illinois State University has hosted this event since 1997. The council is thankful to have had this opportunity the conference in collaboration and with the support of Dietz and the Office of the President.