WGLT News wins AP awards for excellence in reporting
The WGLT News Department has received seven more Illinois Associated Press awards to add to an already impressive collection.
The recent announcement honors GLT with three first place and four second place awards in the Downstate Radio category.
“Time and again our listeners mention the GLT News department as one of the most important services of the station,” said General Manager Bruce Bergethon. “We are proud to have our newsroom’s quality journalism recognized by the Illinois Associated Press, especially our first-time aware as an ‘outstanding news operation’.”
WGLT has received 56 Illinois AP journalism awards in the past ten years, with a total of 80 awards in the last fifteen years. This year’s AP awards are the most for any Illinois radio station outside Chicago.
- Outstanding News Operation, First Place – An assessment of the overall body of work of the news department, including in-depth and feature reporting, spot news coverage, and interviews.
- Best News Series, First Place – Farming: A Growing Concern, a five part report on the future of agriculture.
- Best Reporter, First Place – Charlie Schlenker. Given for a body of work. This is Charlie Schlenker’s fifth time winning this award at GLT and sixth time in his career.
- Best Reporter, Second Place – Willis Kern.
- Best Spot News, Second Place – GLT News Coverage of the NCHS shooting incident in September.
- Best Hard News Feature, Second Place – Willis Kern. “Fracking: Economy or Environment”
- Best Newscast, Second Place
Find current and archived stories from the GLT newsroom at www.WGLT.org/News.
WGLT public radio is licensed to Illinois State University and heard at 89.1 and 103.5 FM. GLT offers news, jazz and blues programming, including an all-blues channel, an all-news channel, an all-jazz channel, and an all-acoustic channel heard with an HD radio or streaming at www.wglt.org. As an NPR affiliate, WGLT airs Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and CarTalk along with other signature public radio programs such as This American Life.
WGLT is a department of the ISU School of Communication.