Marketing and Communications earns top honors in Pride of CASE V awards
Illinois State’s University Marketing and Communications (UMC) team picked up eight honors in the 2014 Pride of CASE V competition, including awards in two Platinum categories, for creative work done for partners across campus.
Among Illinois State’s 2014 honors was top prize in the prestigious Teresa Du Bois Exline Award for Best Practices in Communications and Marketing, one of seven new Platinum-level categories that recognize the “best of the best” programs and practices in educational advancement. UMC won this top communications award for its ambitious ISU 365 daily photo project, besting Midwestern universities such as Northwestern and University of Michigan.
UMC’s award-winning design, editorial, and multimedia work supported several university initiatives, including Office of Admissions recruitment, emergency preparedness, alumni engagement, and campus events.
“Winning CASE V’s highest Marketing and Communications award is very exciting for UMC,” said Brian Beam, executive director of UMC. “I’m even happier that some of the top awards were for Admissions publications, because Admissions is a major area of focus for us. It is the positive collaborative relationships that we have with our outstanding communications experts across campus that makes these awards possible.”
UMC earned eight total awards, twice as many as it won in the 2013 Pride of CASE V competition.
Illinois State’s 2014 Pride of CASE V honorees include:
- Platinum category (gold award), Teresa Du Bois Exline Award for Best Practices in Communications and Marketing: ISU 365 photo project. Contributors included Lyndsie Schlink, Steven Barcus, Ryan Denham, Dave Jorgensen, Sean Thornton, and Adam Rahn.
- Platinum category (honorable mention), Best Articles of the Year: “Earliest educators: Reflections of one-room schoolhouse teachers.” Written by Susan Marquardt Blystone, designed by Dave Jorgensen for Illinois State magazine.
- Gold award, Excellence in Design (Series): Admissions materials. Designed by Carol Jalowiec for the Office of Admissions.
- Silver award, Excellence in Print Advertising: Illinois State University Emergency Alert campaign. Designed by Jon Robinson for Environmental Health and Safety and the Dean of Students Office.
- Silver award, Best Illustration/Graphic: WGLT winter and spring events program. Designed by Mike Mahle for WGLT.
- Bronze award, Best Viewbook: Illinois State University Viewbook. Designed by Carol Jalowiec for the Office of Admissions.
- Bronze award, Excellence in Design (Brochures): Student Fitness Center Activate program guide. Designed by Jon Robinson for Campus Recreation.
- Bronze award, Best Illustration/Graphic: University Advancement Halloween Treat Fest poster. Designed by Sean Thornton for UA.
Illinois State University is part of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) District V, along with institutions across Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The Pride of CASE V awards program honors institutions and individuals who demonstrate outstanding achievement in the concept and execution of advancement programs and communications. Award-winners are recognized at the CASE District V Conference in December in Chicago.
UMC serves as a creative agency handling Illinois State’s communications to external audiences through marketing, publications, social media, photography, and videography.