On Friday, April 28, students and their guests, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the School of Information Technology gathered to Celebrate IT. The annual event celebrates student, faculty and staff accomplishments of the past year.
Director of the School of Information Technology Mary Elaine Califf opened the event with a welcome message thanking everyone for their support of the school and our students.
Program recognition included:
IT professional mentorship program – Mentors and mentees in attendance were recognized and volunteer mentor Matt Powell, a 3rd year professional mentor gave some remarks on the value of the mentorship experience for both mentors and mentees.
Mobile Application Development Contest – Finalists in the 6th annual MAD Contest, sponsored by State Farm, were recognized and video demos of each application were shown, after which the winners were announced. 2017 MAD Contest winners are:
- 1st place – Andrew Johnson
- 2nd place – Basheer Becerra
- 3rd place – Robert Paul & Abe Ramseyer
ACM & AITP student chapters – Club officers Andrew Johnson and Robert Heaser provided a recap of club activities for the past year.
Academic Recognition – Califf remarked that the selection committee had a difficult task, as there were several excellent students with outstanding academic performance. Those recognized are:
- Adam Kleinschmidt – Distinguished Freshman
- Abraham Guo – Outstanding Sophomore
- Basheer Becerra and Brandon James – Distinguished Junior
- Jonathan (J.D.) Lafayette – Outstanding Junior
- Robert Paul – Distinguished Senior
- Evan Rappe – Outstanding Senior
- Farzan Soufizadeh Balaneji – Outstanding Graduate Assistant
- Sanjul Jain – Distinguished Graduate Student
- Sauragh Bansal – Outstanding Graduate Student
The evening concluded with congratulations and social time