Submit applications for Alumni Association, legacy, and affinity group scholarships
The Illinois State Alumni Association and the groups that work in conjunction with the Alumni Association provide scholarship opportunities for current and future Redbirds of Illinois State University.
Alumni Association and Marian H. Dean Legacy Scholarships
- The Student Alumni Council/Marian H. Dean Legacy Scholarship and Donald L. and Marie E. Dillow Family Memorial Scholarship are awarded to a limited number of sons, daughters, siblings, or grandchildren of Illinois State University graduates as a way to ease the strain of college expenses and recognize legacy families continuing the Illinois State tradition. The nonrenewable scholarship was made possible by a donation from the family of alumna Marian H. Dean ’27, ’29; the Dillow Family; and contributions from Student Alumni Council and the Illinois State Alumni Association.
- The Alumni Association Scholarship was made possible thanks to an initiative launched by the Alumni Association in 2009. The scholarship addresses the accessibility of undergraduate education to students who exhibit outstanding academic achievement and leadership, and who demonstrate a financial need. Additional consideration is given to students whose immediate family members have attended or graduate from Illinois State University.
Those interested in applying for either of these scholarships must complete an online application by Thursday, November 15.
In addition to these scholarships, any new new freshmen or transfer students who have a parent or grandparent that graduated from Illinois State will receive a $500 scholarship each year for up to four years. This scholarship does not require an additional application. For more information on this legacy scholarship, contact the Office of Admissions.
Black Colleagues Association Scholarships
There are also several scholarships awarded by the Illinois State University Black Colleagues Association (ISUBCA), a chartered affinity network of the Alumni Association.
- Judge Russell DeBow Scholarship is a $1,000 award named after DeBow ’35, one of the charter members of ISUBCA and an instrumental figure in writing the original constitution and bylaws for the network. Students are also considered for book scholarships through the President’s Office and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Vincent Lionel Davis Scholarship is a $1,000 award established by the Davis family in memory of alumnus Vincent Lionel Davis ’81, who died in the line of duty as an employee of the Dallas fire department.
- Commemorative Public Service Scholarship is a $1,000 award established by alumnae who were initiated into the Theta Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. at Illinois State University, in memory of alumna Carol Lynn Johnson ’79. Johnson died in 2004 after a brave and lengthy battle with breast cancer.
- Lewis and Mills Endowed Scholarship was established in 2014 by Alfred Lewis ’90 and Stephen Mills ’90 whose wives both died of cancer. This scholarship will support sophomore, junior, or senior students with a major within the College of Business or College of Arts and Sciences. Preference will be given to African-Americans and to students diagnosed with cancer or those who have parents that succumbed to cancer or who are cancer survivors.
Those interested in applying for any of the ISUBCA scholarships must complete an online application and essay questions submitted by 4:30 p.m. November 28. Applicants must also have two letters of recommendation submitted by 4:30 p.m. December 5, 2018.
The Black Colleagues Association is also offering a scholarship for spring 2019 to current freshmen at Illinois State University. Those interested must complete the application a separate application by November 28 to be considered.
Latin@ Alumni Network (LAN) Scholarship
The mission of LAN is to establish, maintain and promote a network for the empowerment and advancement of Latin@ alumni, students, faculty, and staff at Illinois State University. As a part of LAN’s mission, the organization desires to assist students in securing financial aid through annual scholarships.
Those interested in applying for the Latin@ Alumni Network scholarship must complete an online application and essay questions submitted by 4:30 p.m. November 28, 2018. Applicants must also have two letters of recommendation submitted by 4:30 p.m. December 5, 2018.
Additional questions can be sent to Illinois State University Alumni Engagement.