Horton Field House (top, left) was the first major campus building dedicated to practice and events for student-athletes.Appears In
Opened in 1963, the building was named to honor Clifford “Pop” Horton. He joined ISU faculty in 1923, started Gamma Phi Circus, and served 33 years as director of the men’s Health and Physical Education Department. Horton was the site for ISU basketball until completion of Redbird Arena (top, right) in January of 1989. With seating for 10,500, the arena is home to men’s and women’s basketball and women’s volleyball. There are staff offices, a strength and conditioning facility, and locker and conference rooms in the building that is a community landmark.