Reinvent Your Course for Diversity summer registration is now open
Incorporate important concepts and perspectives about diversity and cultural inclusion in your existing course. Reinvent Your Course for Diversity is a cohort-based professional opportunity offered by the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology as part of the 2018 Summer Institute. Facilitated by CTLT coordinators Dana Karraker and Mayuko Nakamura, this multi-part workshop helps you prepare students to live and work in our very complex society. It sheds insight into the diverse ways people communicate and learn by encouraging participants to reflect upon their course content and explore how that content can meet the needs of the diverse student population at Illinois State University. It is open to instructors from all disciplines.
In this workshop, participants will:
- develop course goals, activities, and assessment plans pertaining to a course you are teaching and share these with fellow participants
- critically reflect on assumptions of ethnic and cultural groups
- identify opportunities to integrate diverse course content, learning activities and assessment into courses
- articulate strategies to create culturally inclusive classroom climate
- facilitate discussion and group activities that challenge students’ ethnic and cultural assumptions
Meeting Dates and Times
Reinvent Your Course for Diversity meets throughout July, allowing instructors to retool a course they plan to deliver in the coming academic year. Meetings are at CTLT’s facility in the IDTC Building, 301 S. Main St., unless otherwise noted:
Monday, July 09 • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesday, July 11 • 9 a.m. to noon
Monday, July 16 • 9 a.m. to noon
Wednesday, July 18 • 9 a.m. noon
Monday, July 23 • 9 a.m. to noon
Tuesday, August 7 • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Alumni Center)
Lunch is provided for the full-day meeting on July 9. This cohort will also participate in the Summer Showcase on Tuesday, August 7, at the Alumni Center.
Stipdends and Registration
A $500 stipend is available to eligible participants who complete the program. Seating is limited. Registration through the My.IllinoisState portal is required by Monday, July 2, 2018.
Please email CTLT@ilstu.edu.
If you need a special accommodation to fully participate in a CTLT event, please contact the front desk at (309) 438-2542.